Saturday, October 15, 2011

TTM Success! Johnny Bower, The China Wall !!!

After having a conversation with bamlinden of My Hockey Card Obsession fame at the local card show this morning, I realized I've been neglecting posting the TTM autographs I've received lately. Quite honestly, I haven't had much time to post, and when i have, I've just been too lazy to do it. So here we go.

I wrote to former Leaf great, Johnny Bower. Johnny has led quite the life. First, he lied about his age so he could join the Canadian Armed Forces and fight in WWII at 15. 15! At 15 I was busy growing chest hair. At 15 Johnny was killing Nazi's in Europe.  Hmmm......
After an Honourable Discharge at the age of 20 because of a medical condition (chronic arthritis) he went back to playing hockey. After 13 season's in the minor leagues and a very brief appearance with the N.Y. Rangers, he became a 35 year old rookie with the Toronto Maple Leafs.
Four Stanley Cup wins later, he retired in 1970.
 Johnny was elected to the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1976.
 Johhny was kind enough to sign my 8x10 photo as well as this Tall Boy and 10/11 OPC retro card for me.
Free internet cookies to anyone who can identify the other players in the photo. Enjoy a cup of coffee while you try and figure it out.

3 comments:

  1. Amazing career he had. Amazing life growing up too. I had no idea.

    Awesome autographs. You can see the care and consideration in his signature.

    Great to talk to you today. Sorry for being distracted by Linden cards. :)

    As for your photo....Tim Horton is the only one I can pick out of there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. other Leafs are Mike Walton and Allan Stanley, the Bruin looks familiar but I can't remember and too lazy too search

    ReplyDelete