Saturday, November 16, 2013

Set them freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!

At the last card show I went to (see previous post), I found a small stack of cards in a box that I had no idea what they were. They looked like this.
 
 They had a type of wax paper stuck to them. And I mean stuck. The paper was old and yellowed.... the backs looked like this.


I've seen recent versions of this set and I like them. They're pretty sharp. Asking around if the paper peels off or not resulted in answers ranging from "No idea" to "Doubtful after all these years" to the ever popular "If you peel them, they won't be as valuable anymore..."

You know I was going to ignore that last one. Yeah.... I'm worried about value. If I was worried about value, I wouldn't be buying cards, let me tell you.

But for $2, I decide to give one a try. (Obviously) So I brought Guy home with me and went to work.

Actually, after getting it started, it went fairly smoothly.

And voila! No. I think that's Voici!


 
Shiny and clear Guy set free from his prison forever.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! That looks great.


    But now the card isn't worth as much.


    Silly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have a big show coming up in Chicago this weekend and I always come across dozens of these in the singles boxes. I really had no idea what they were and was too lazy to look them up but now that I can see what happens after peeling I might pick up a bunch. Value be damned!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Almost seems like a gimmick. Like that plastic coating over Topps Finest years ago. Considering the name of the cards "Frozen In Time", that paper gives the impression the player in frozen in a block of ice or something.

    My two cents at least.

    ReplyDelete