Sunday, January 30, 2011

Neither rain, nor snow, nor gloom of night.....

This weekend was Card Show weekend here in south Calgary. Only one problem. I woke up Saturday morning to almost 20 inches of snow in my driveway. And it was still snowing. And the wind was blowing.
Two options. Back to bed, warm and safe. Or venture out in the insane weather just to go to a card show.

A no brainer if you ask me. On to the card show!

An it's a good thing I did. Although I spent 50 bucks. And I never spend that much. Oops. Let's see how I did. Then you can vote, Epic, or Epic Fail.

First up, table #1, 3 cards for $2. All for future ttm attempts.
A 1972/73 OPC Frank Mahovlich with razor sharp corners...
 an '88/89 OPC Adam Oates card that I was told was his rookie, but turns out it's not. I knew that, but I bit anyways. Oh well.
 and a '74/75 OPC Lanny McDonald rookie. And this is his rookie. Not bad for .67 cents.
 Table #2 brings us to 6 cards for $5.

A Black border rainbow retro box hit #/100 of Ducks sniper Bobby Ryan...
 and another of Derick Brassard, also #/100
 A '10/11 OPC retro of Johnny Bower. I've been looking for a good card to send to Mr Bower for an autograph. This will do nicely. No way am I sending out his rookie or anything....
 An older insert of Miikka Kiprusoff.
 An Adam Pardy Young Gun rookie...
 and Sid the Kid #/999.... all that for $5.
 Now this next part, all from Table #3, is my favourite buy from the show. What you see fom here, cost me $15. A steal. There's currently a warrant out for my arrest.

First, seven '10/11 OPC retro inserts on my quest for a complete team set....
Carey Price, All Star Goaltender.
 Brian Gionta
 Jaroslav Spacek
 Benoit Pouliot. There's a drinking game involving watching Pouliot play, but I won't get into that here...
 Travis Moen
 The older Kostitsyn brother, Andrei
 and Holy Frak! A P.K. Subban retro insert SP rookie. Pernell was also at the All Star Game.
 now, five of the '10/11 OPC Rainbow Retro inserts, again, in pursuit of my team set.

Roman 'I can't believe he's still playing' Hamrlik
 Tommy Pyatt
 Maxim Lapierre. Max was traded to Anaheim a wee while ago....
 our leading scorer, Mike Cammalleri
 and Hall of Famer, a SP of the Big Bird, Larry Robinson.
 finally for our $15, I grabbed two 2010/11 Donruss team sets...

one of Montreal
 and one of Calgary.
Can you believe it? All that for $15??? Sweet.
As I was leaving, I also grabbed a complete 2006/07 Parkhurst set for $8 and a box of Ultra Pro pages for $15. I'll feature some of the cards from the Parkhurst set later... it's a really cool set featuring some of the all time greats.

So? How did I do? Was I a thief? Or should I have stayed in bed?

3 comments:

  1. First off, 20 inches of snow is 20 inches of snow. Ballsy move.

    But in the end, you could've spent $50 on worse. At least you got what you wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never have money leftover for pages. Tell us your secret.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's like...ummmm...carry the two....that's like $.17/card and pages for free. Or $.12/card if you don't count the pages. I'd say you got a pretty good deal.

    ReplyDelete