Monday, January 23, 2012

Suspension Not Required. Really?

"I'm not suspending him" - Peter Chiarelli, Boston Bruins General Manager in regards to Tim Thomas.

First, a bit of background. Today was the day when the Stanley Cup Champion Boston Bruins had their visit with the President of the United States, Barack Obama.
Tim Thomas, starting goalie and Conn Smythe Trophy winner, declined to attend for 'personal reasons.'

(forgive the 5 minute photoshop)

General Manager Peter Chiarelli had to have a press conference to answer all the questions from the "media" as to whether or not Thomas would be suspended. The answer was no.

My question is this.... has our society fallen into that big of a cesspool that this is news? Suspended???? What did he do that was wrong? What business is it of anyone's why he chose not to attend. Maybe he needs a rest. Maybe his wife is having a baby. Maybe he, like a lot of Americans, disagrees with the direction Obama has taken the country. What does it matter?

There was a lot of talk pointing out that "Thomas was the only player who did not attend." Well, that's not surprising. Thomas is one of only two Americans on the Bruins. (I still love it when the Bruins fans chant USA! USA! when they play the Leafs or Canadiens)
So really, only two Bruins would have any opinion on Mr Obama. All of the Canadians, Fins, Swedes, Russians etc... on the roster would go just for the free food.

Number one, I can't believe I'm sticking up for a Bruin, and number two, I can't believe people make that much of a big deal out of it. The last time I checked, people in the U.S. still had freedom of choice. Unlike the current direction of my beloved country......

Sit back, relax, and focus your conceerns on something that really matters.

Just my two cents.


EDIT: as I posted this, Tim Thomas released the following statement...

"I believe the Federal government has grown out of control, threatening the Rights, Liberties, and Property of the People," Thomas' statement read. "This is being done at the Executive, Legislative, and Judicial level. This is in direct opposition to the Constitution and the Founding Fathers vision for the Federal government."

"Because I believe this," the statement continued, "today I exercised my right as a Free Citizen, and did not visit the White House. This was not about politics or party, as in my opinion both parties are responsible for the situation we are in as a country. This was about a choice I had to make as an INDIVIDUAL."

4 comments:

  1. First off, don't suspend him because he's been integral in taking my fantasy hockey team into first place *cough* *cough*.

    But c'mon. I don't think that he should be suspended at all. It's his choice. But what the hell? The U.S. has treated Thomas well enough to make him a millionaire. Shake the President's hand and tell him to his face that he won't get your vote.

    This whole damn country has become so extreme with its politics that people literally can't stand face to face and have a discussion or a disagreement. Just my two cents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're backing a Bruin?? I hope this is the first AND last time...but even I agree with you

    ReplyDelete
  3. While I think a suspension (or even talk of one) is ridiculous, I have to say that I'm a bit disappointed with Thomas for not showing up to the White House.

    I get politics and people's sometimes strong allegiance to their particular political beliefs, but the trip to the White House to meet the President is not necessarily political in nature. Sure, Obama probably gets a ever so slight uptick in that day's approval rating, but overall, the visit is a time honored American tradition. Thomas, however, made it political by his statements. That is sad to me.

    Join YOUR TEAM and celebrate winning the Cup for just one more day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have no problem with him skipping the visit to the White House. That's his right as an American. I do think the media, as it's wont to do, has blown it out of proportion. I'm sure his teammates, who know him better than we do, aren't highly surprised by his actions.

    As far as the suspension talk, from the way I read Chiarelli's statements, the visit was considered a "team function" and if a player misses a team function he is subject to being suspended. Sort of along the lines of Seguin getting benched for missing team meetings earlier in the year.

    I am, however, enjoying the rumors that the Bruins are sick of Thomas and will trade him at the end of the season.

    ReplyDelete